Monday, October 31, 2011
The future of eduation
Where is the future of education headed! We have continued to ignore the impact that big corporations are having on how we're teaching our children in the classrooms today. Technology is a beautiful and awesome addition in our society today. However, how much are the children benefiting from this massive rush of technology in the classrooms and does it compare to the social and personal skills that they are sacrificing. Technology has moved into our lives so quickly I am not sure people still know how to talk to each other in person. How many students actually read a book and what happened to studying grammar in the classrooms? Just recently I spoke with a 12th grader who was about to graduate from high-school that told me he never really studied grammar and did I have a grammar book that he could borrow! Don't get me wrong I am all for technology in the classrooms today but, we can't allow big corporations to dictate to our schools just when and how much of it teachers should use to teach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like the ironic background of your blog Vincent.
ReplyDeleteRight on, sir! Technology brings a lot of great things to the table, but technology also brings a lot of "noise" to the table. Most cases the loudest "noise" wins. If those "noises" distract our students enough, we'll have more problems like your 12th grader. We as educators don't really need to be louder, we just need to have something better to say.
ReplyDeleteGreat points! As an English teacher, I worry about how technology might impact reading. I find with my students that they read more, but not much of any one thing. And, they read down the page instead of across the page--weird. I, too, find that grammar is more necessary than ever! With the advent of text and tweets, it's harder to teach it, but so important. I promise, 7th graders are learning grammar. . .much to their dismay
ReplyDeleteI completely agree. Technology is good, but when do we know how much is too much? Where IS education headed?
ReplyDeleteGood points. I know technology is a great tool that can enhance learning, communication, etc. in so many ways. However, I think it's important to teach kids how to write and communicate without the use of technology as well.
ReplyDelete